Skip to content

Marriage in Indonesia

According to Indonesian law, Indonesian nationals and persons of any other nationality may marry in Indonesia provided they hold a religion recognised by the Indonesian Government (Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, or Christian Catholic/Protestant). Both parties must hold the same religion.

Registration of marriage in Indonesia can be done at the Kantor Catatan Sipil (Civil Registry Office) for non-muslims or at the Kantor Urusan Agama (Office of Religious Affairs) for muslims. Please note that a marriage ceremony performed in a church, mosque or the like is not legally binding in Indonesia - and therefore not legally binding in Denmark either.

In order for a Danish citizen to register marriage in Indonesia, the Indonesian authority request that the Danish Embassy issue a letter, which confirms the Danish national's name, nationality, passport number, date of issue and expiry, issuing passport authority and, if relevant, divorce papers or the death certificate of deceased spouse.

When you return to Denmark after having registered your marriage in Indonesia, you shall inform the municipality where you live (Folkeregisteret) about your marriage.

1. If you wish to marry in Indonesia you should therefore provide the Embassy with:

  1. A copy of your passport
  2. A certificate from your Danish municipality concerning notification of marriage ("Ægteskabsattest" or "Civilstandsattest")

Kindly note that you must bring and show the original documents when you come to the Embassy to pick up your certificate for registration of marriage in Indonesia.

 If you prefer you can have the certificate sent to you by postal mail or picked up by a courier (who will need a power of attorney from you), however, we still need to see the original documents.

Under normal circumstances, it takes 2-3 working days for the Embassy to issue a certificate for registration of marriage in Indonesia. The certificate is valid for 60 days after the issuance.

The service is subject to a fee (See fees). Normally we require cash payment when the certificate is picked up. In cases where we are requested to send the certificate, we will enclose an invoice.

2. When the certificate has been issued, you may register a marriage at any Civil Registry Office or Office of Religious Affairs.

The registration offices will charge you a fee for the registration of marriage (the fee differs from office to office). Please note that you might also have to pay a small fee to the two marriage witnesses, if they are provided by the registration office.

3. After your marriage you may inform the Danish authorities (Folkeregisteret) of your changed civil status. For this you will need to have the marriage certificate legalised by the Embassy.