Skip to content

Residence and Work Permits

Applicants who are going to study, seek family reunification, work etc. for a period exceeding 3 months must apply for a residence permit.

The Danish Immigration Service outlines the general requirements for residence and/or work permits to Denmark. All applications for residence and/or work permit will be forwarded by the Danish Embassy to the Danish Immigration Service for a decision.

Applicants will be informed by the Danish Embassy when a decision has been reached.

How to submit your application?

It is a requirement that you lodge your application in person directly at the Visa Application Centre VFS without prior appointment.

The list shows where you can apply for short-stay-visa (which is valid up to 90 days) or long-stay-visa for eg.: Study, working, family reunification, re-entry or other types of Residence Permits.

Please do not lodge your application until you have ticked the boxes in the checklist in the application form.

Finding the right application form

In the right column you can download the Danish Immigration Service's Form Guide with links to all the application forms for residence and work permits for Denmark. Please use the guide to download the appropriate application form.

Each individual form comes with step-by-step instructions. Please read and follow the instructions carefully. Collect all the required documentation before submitting your application.


The Danish Embassy in Jakarta forwards all applications to the Danish Immigration Service in Copenhagen for processing. Once the Danish Immigration Service has reached a decision they will forward the written approval or refusal (a letter) to the Danish Embassy in Jakarta who, in turn, will notify the applicant.

Third-country citizens who require a visa to enter Denmark will in addition to the written approval letter also be issued a long-stay visa for Denmark in their passport. The Embassy of Denmark will issue this visa. The visa allows them to enter Denmark and upon arrival they must obtain a residence card from the Danish Immigration Service.

If the Danish Immigration Service refuses your application, a letter of refusal will be sent to you.

For processing times see the information on the Danish Immigration Service's website.

Original passport

You must present your original passport upon lodgement of your application. Your passport must be valid for three months longer than your intended stay.